About the College of Psychiatry of Ireland
The College of Psychiatrists of Ireland was formed in 2009. It is the professional body for psychiatrists in the Republic of Ireland.
The Mission of the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland is to promote excellence in the practice of psychiatry.
The College fulfils its mission through the following actions:
- Education and Training of psychiatrists
- Provision of lifelong learning for psychiatrists
- Advocacy for resources to support best practice in the delivery of mental health services.
- Promoting best practice in education, training and research in psychiatry.
- Public education in issues related to psychiatric illness, psychiatric services and mental health promotion.
The College supports the delivery of mental health services in line with the recovery model and supports the delivery of the national policy on mental health services Vision For Change.
The College of Psychiatrists of Ireland is the sole body recognised by the Medical Council and the HSE for the training of doctors to become specialists in psychiatry and for the continuing assurance of the career long competence of specialists in psychiatry.